Monday, March 12, 2012

I am done with those stress-inducing, anxiety-ridden things called on-calls. Done, I say, DONE!!!

Today's title is also the Facebook status I posted at about 9:30 this morning. It, of course, means that I have completed all of my required on-calls at the hospital! Much thanks to Abbas, who had strep throat in mid-February and to Nick, who suggested I take that oncall so that I didn't have to come back next Monday and do one.

Yesterday's oncall was a lovely farewell gift. I was there for 24 hours. I received two phone calls and three pages. My oncall report had I believe six lines in it and three of those were referred to other people. I had one death and one code blue.

I actually did a lot of reading for seminary classes while I was oncall yesterday.

It was also kind of my intent to work on my CPE Final Evaluation while I was oncall. I scrapped that idea, though, when I realized that oncalls produce too much anxiety in me for me to be able to write much of anything. So I read instead and decided to finish my evaluation today.

I left the hospital at about 9:00 this morning, after oncall report. I came home and did laundry because we have to return our lab coats clean and washed. I then ate lunch and then took about a 3 1/2 hour nap. Even though I didn't have many calls last night, one of them was at 3am and I never get much sleep, or at least good sleep, at the hospital.

After my nap, I figured I should go be productive. So I went to the library at the University of Chicago, walked completely around three floors of the bookstacks before finally finding an empty study carrel. I stayed there for over 2.5 hours writing my evaluation. A few weeks ago, when I scanned the document, I didn't think it would be too difficult or too much to worry about. Last week when I actually read it, and talked to others who have been interns, I realized it was going to be more time consuming and more work than I thought it was.

So we had nothing scheduled on Thursday or Friday. I just couldn't get motivated to write more than a few sentences here and there. And then Friday afternoon was spent dealing with a POA issue on my floor. So not much got done.

But now it's done. I'll reread it again, and maybe make some final edits before bedtime, but it's done. It's 9 pages, in 11 pt single spaced Times New Roman. I had no idea I had that much to say about CPE.

No comments:

Post a Comment