Thursday, March 15, 2012

Play Day!!


Today was an awesome day! The morning started at 8:30 with Graduation
Breakfast. There is a reception-hall type room at Rush where it was held. Eggs,
sausage, bacon, tater tots, fruits and pastries. Yummy!

After eating, at about 9:00, Mary opened it up for anyone to say anything
about us or us about them. Many of the staff and residents spoke about us,
individually and as a group. It was great to hear feedback from them. A couple
of the comments were about the fact that we will be forever known as the "Tower
Move Interns." Rush moved into the new tower four days after we started. The
department head told us that ususally, interns are broken in gradually, over
about two weeks. But that we had three days and then a new hospital! One of the
residents said something about normally, you're thrown into the deep end, but we
were taken to the middle of Lake Michigan and left there! Another staff member
said that this unit flew by - and that meant that we had fit into the fabric of
the department very well.

Mary then had our certificates to give us and each one of us came up and
she said a few words and gave us the certificate. We then got in a tiny circle
and everyone gatherered around us and put hands on us, and said prayers.
Afterwards, we gave hugs, said our goodbyes and had our picture taken.

We were to meet at the Kidston elevators at 10:30. I went to get my parking
stamped at Volunteer Services. The volunteer made me show my badge, then told me
I needed to be wearing it if I was in the hospital. This is only the second time
I've been 'carded' and I've never been yelled at for it! Oh, well.

Went back to the office and turned in my pager, lab coat, booklet and
nametag. We could keep our nametag if we want to be on the on-call list for if
people are sick. Yeah......don't think so! Eleanor commented "I don't think Jen
wants to be on the on-call list...."

We then walked to the Pink Line and got a train ticket. We took it to the
Sears Tower. Oops. It's now actually the Willis Tower. Whatever. Mary bought our
tickets to go up. We went up, walked around, took some pictures. We went out on
the ledges and it was awesome! Had people take our pictures. The picture above
is of our feet on the ledge. We also had the professionals take a picture and
Mary bought one. The department has pictures in the hallway of all of the CPE
groups since around 1980. So the one she bought will be the one on the wall.
We're the first ones to have it taken there!! Awesome views, awesome
experience.

We then got back on the train and went to lunch at Ed Debevic's, a
50's-style diner where the waitresses are rude (they're supposed to be). But the
food was really good. And I have leftovers :) We stayed there, talked and ate.
Had a great time.

We then walked back to the train station and said goodbye to Mike, as he
was going to go home from there. Mary, Nick and I got on the train and went back
to Rush. Nick and I said goodbye to Mary then walked to the parking garage,
where we said goodbye. Though we are planning to meet at the St. Patrick's Day
parade on Saturday and I'm going to try to come back to Rush sometime next unit
and have lunch with him. He is doing another unit starting on Tuesday.

Although I am not going to miss CPE, I am really going to miss these three
people.

No comments:

Post a Comment